Food Thread - Post your delicious!

Chuy’s Texmex Creamy Jalapeno Dip

1 pack Hidden Valley Ranch
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup of sour cream
2/3 cup mayo
1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeno juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro (or 5 tablespoons of freeze dried cilantro)
1/2 cup tomatillo salsa (aka salsa verde)
1/2 cup strained jalapenos (let sit on a paper towel for a few minutes)

Instructions:

1. In a blender or small food processor, add the HVR, buttermilk, sour cream, mayo, and jalapeno juice.
  2. Blend the mixture for 30-60 seconds until well combined. 3.
  3. Add cilantro, tomatillo salsa, and jalapenos. Pulse your blender about 5 times for 3 seconds each for chunky, 10 times for 3 seconds each for less chunky.

The addition of sour cream adds a creamy element to the dip. It will also make the dip stick to your chip, so you get more creamy goodness with every bite.

Protips:
Don’t use fresh jalapenos… Grab a can/jar of jalapenos from the condiments isle. Don’t use light mayo, you need the fat for texture. Make the dip 24 hours in advance! The flavors will intensify and honestly, I found this recipe to more flavorful than Chuy’s.

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/recipes/comments/3malrm/chuys_texmex_restaurant_creamy_jalapeño/

Spanish rice

This is my grandma’s recipe, and served us well for decades. It’s not fancy, but helps when things are tight.

1 cup of rice (white or brown works)
3 cups of water (or stock if you like)
1 bell pepper
1 onion
2 cans of crushed/diced tomatoes, or prepare them from scratch
1 tbs fat (butter, canola, whatever)
A few pieces of fresh garlic into a paste or garlic powder
some black pepper
pinch of cumin, maybe more if that’s your thing
Cliantro chopped up (optional)
Chicken, beef, roadkill (optional)
Salt to taste
Heat a large skillet or large skillet on high. Add the fat. Once it starts to smoke a bit, add the rice. Stir constantly until all the rice is golden brown.

While stirring, you can start chopping up onions, cilantro, and bell pepper. Make garlic into paste if you plan to use fresh garlic. By this time, the rice should be browned.

Add the stock. Then add all the other ingredients. Keep it on high and let all the liquid absorb into the rice. DO NOT STIR THE RICE WHILE COOKING, AND DO NOT LET IT BURN, EITHER. Keep an eye on it. If you stir it too much, you will have mush. Mush is not good.

Should be done in about 20 mins.

Now fuck off and enjoy your meal.

One more for the road.

Beef Fajitas - this is a little more fancy, but can be a good value if you buy ingredients on sale. Versatile recipe, too. You can get pretty creative with it.

A slab of beef. Round steak, top sirloin, strip, whatever steak suits your fancy. Couple of pounds, maybe? I am a fat bastard, so I like lots of steak. Prepare your steak as you see fit. Broil, pan fried, rare, well done, etc. Just make sure you keep the meat separate from the other ingredients. Otherwise, you will get dog food. Let that rest.

Veggies. I prefer onions, beefsteak tomatoes, lettuce, jalapeno peppers, cilantro and bell pepper for some crunch. I dice and slice all the veggies and add some kind of acidic dressing. I like lemon and a little oil. Toss that around a bit, but being careful not to make it too wet. Just a light coating for flavor.

Optional toppings:
Sliced avocado is nice if you like it.
Sour cream
Guacamole
Salsa if you likes it spicy
Cheese
You get the idea.

Warm some tortillas. Corn, flour, etc.

Make it into a taco!

Enjoy!

Jalapeño Popper Meatloaf

Serves 8

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground chicken 
2 eggs
3/4 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 slices thin cut bacon

Filling:

8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup Mexican blend cheese 
1 (7 oz) can diced pickled jalapeños

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.

2. In a large bowl mix together the meatloaf ingredients until thoroughly mixed.

3. Divide by half and place half in a 10.5" cast iron skillet in the shape of a large meatloaf. Make a divot in the middle.

4. In a medium bowl mix together the filling ingredients until combined, transfer to the center of the meatloaf then top it with the remaining meatloaf mixture. Press together the sides to seal in the filling.

5. Wrap the bacon around the top of the meatloaf slightly tucking in the ends underneath the loaf. 

6. Transfer to the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165° F.

7. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing. 

Nutritional Information

Per serving

calories 535
fat (grams) 26.7
sat. fat (grams) 9.4
carbs (grams) 4.1
net carbs 2.2
protein (grams) 70

Elote:
Corn
Lots of mayonnaise
Shredded cheese
Dash of paprika to taste
Quite a bit of Tajin seasoning (pic posted)